Friday, July 16, 2010

2008 Caldecott Honor

Knuffle Bunny Too: A Case of Mistaken Identity
by Mo Willems


What a wonderful surprise! Other than the “pigeon books” I had not read anything else written by Mo Willems. Knuffle Bunny Too: A Case of Mistaken Identity is superb. I liked everything about the book. Willem’s tale about two little girls who take the same stuffed bunny to school and then get them mixed up is hilarious! I liked the way in which the author captured the actions and attitudes of typical little girls. The classroom “scenes” are realistic, and when the teacher took the bunnies away; well, it reminded me of how I would handle that situation in my own classroom! I think this greatly influenced my positive reaction to the book. At the end of the school day, the bunnies are returned to the girls with one problem; in the middle of the night both girls wake up and realize that they each have the wrong bunny. What comes next is a frantic middle-of-the night phone call and urgent father-daughter treks across town to meet and switch the bunnies back to their rightful owners! I liked how the story ended, too. Both girls realized that each had worried about their respectful bunnies. This common bond caused the girls to put aside their animosity and find a best friend in each other. How sweet!

Not only was the story telling outstanding, but the creative approach to the illustrations is genius. I loved the unique concept and great result of layering cartoon drawings over top of actual black and white photographs. I thought this was very appealing to the reader’s eye.

Like his other books, Mr. Willems has succeeded in writing and illustrating another awesome story that preschoolers and early primary children can read, laugh at, and see themselves in. I can’t wait to get back to the library to get a copy of its prequel, Knuffle Bunny: A Cautionary Tale!

No comments:

Post a Comment